Photo Blog | Blog   Facebook for Go Northwest!   Google+ for Go Northwest!   YouTube Channel

Back to
Border Crossing
main page

Traveling with Animals
  -Other Animals

More Border Info
Contact Information
ID Requirements
  -USA Citizens
  -Non-US Citizens
  -Food into USA
  -Food into Canada
Ports or Entry
Transporting Goods
  -Into USA
  -Into Canada
Traveling with Animals
  -Other Animals
Traveling with Children
Travel Tips

Official Border Services Web Sites
United States
US-VISIT Program

Border Crossing Wait Times
United States

Travel Planning
Border Crossings
Driving Tours
Free Brochures
Time & Time Zones
Travel In Canada
Travel In USA

About the Northwest
Top Attractions
Cities & Towns
National Parks - Canada
National Parks - USA
What is the Northwest?

Northwest Links
Food & Beverage
Visitor Information

A Provocative Description of the Pacific Northwest

Border Crossing

Traveling with Dogs and Cats

Disclaimer: This information is provided as a service to our visitors and no guarantee is made as to its completeness or correctness. All information should be independently verified with the relevant authorities.

Unlike for birds and other types of household pets, owners are not required to carry government certification in order to transport the animals between the two countries for purposes of a limited stay.

Pets returning to the country of origin (such as after a vacation) undergo the same scrutiny as imported pets. In general, border personnel will want to ensure that the animal is clean, free of disease and that vaccinations are kept up to date.

Both countries require the following at the time of crossing:

  1. The animal must appear to be healthy.
  2. Written certification from a veterinarian must be on hand verifying that the animal is free of diseases communicable to humans and has been vaccinated for rabies. The rabies vaccination certificate must have an expiration date of than 36 months or less; otherwise, the certificate must show that the animal was vaccinated within the preceding 12 months. Kittens and puppies younger than 3 months of age are not required to be vaccinated.

Puppies less than 3 months of age must be confined to a location of the owner's choosing until vaccinated and must remain in confinement for one month following vaccination.

More Information

U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP) telephone numbers for customer service:

  • Local: 202-354-1000

  • Toll-free (from US): 1-877-227-5511.

Also see telephone numbers listed under "Ports of Entry". For additional information, please visit either of the following web sites:

Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)

U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP)

Go Northwest! (tm)

Go Northwest! (tm) and (tm) are trademarks of Go Northwest, LLC
All original text, maps, photographs, and other images on this web site, as well as the compilation and design thereof, are
Copyright 1997-2016 Go Northwest, LLC.   All rights reserved.