Border Crossing

Travel Tips

Disclaimer: This information is provided as a service to our visitors and no guarantee is made as to its completeness or correctness. All information should be independently verified with the relevant authorities.

The following tips to make your border crossing go smoothly have been gleaned from other sources including the web sites for US Customs and Canada Customs.  Consult those sources for detailed information and for answers to questions about your particular situation.


  • Have proof of citizenship readily available.

  • Have birth certificates for each child in your vehicle.

  • If traveling with children who are not a part of your immediate family, have a note or proof that the child has permission to cross the border with you.

  • Resident aliens must carry residency cards at all times.


  • Declare all fruits, vegetables, plants and plant products, animals, birds, eggs, meat and meat products.

  • Declare all items acquired for personal use.


  • Turn off radios and car phones when talking to border agents.

    More Information

    U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP) telephone numbers for customer service:

    • Local: 202-354-1000

    • Toll-free (from US): 1-877-227-5511.

    Also see telephone numbers listed under "Ports of Entry". For additional information, please visit either of the following web sites:

    Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)

    U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP)

Go Northwest! (tm)

Go Northwest! (tm) and (tm) are trademarks of Go Northwest, LLC
All original text, maps, photographs, and other images on this web site, as well as the compilation and design thereof, are
Copyright 1997-2019 Go Northwest, LLC.   All rights reserved.