Border Crossing

Traveling with Other Animals

Disclaimer: This information is provided as a service to our visitors and no guarantee is made as to its completeness or correctness. All information should be independently verified with the relevant authorities.

Importation restrictions by the United States and Canada vary according to the species or type of wild animal being imported. There are prohibitions against the importation of some animals, such as monkeys to the U.S. if they are being brought in as pets. Other animals may require importation permits and/or quarantine, and some require specific vaccinations to be kept up in order for the animal to be imported to either country.

Further information about restrictions and importation requirements for various animals can be obtained by contacting the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol and Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

More Information

U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP) telephone numbers for customer service:

  • Local: 202-354-1000

  • Toll-free (from US): 1-877-227-5511.

Also see telephone numbers listed under "Ports of Entry". For additional information, please visit either of the following web sites:

Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)

U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP)

Go Northwest! (tm)

Go Northwest! (tm) and (tm) are trademarks of Go Northwest, LLC
All original text, maps, photographs, and other images on this web site, as well as the compilation and design thereof, are
Copyright 1997-2019 Go Northwest, LLC.   All rights reserved.