Border Crossing

USA Citizen Identification Requirements for Re-Entry

Disclaimer: This information is provided as a service to our visitors and no guarantee is made as to its completeness or correctness. All information should be independently verified with the relevant authorities.

New identification requirements were implemented June 1, 2009 for all individuals entering the United States from Canada and other Western Hemisphere countries. Upon re-entry one must provide a document that has a photo, proving both citizenship and identity. These requirements apply to all U.S. citizens.


One of the following documents may be presented to prove both identity and citizenship for all travelers, including children:

  • Passport

  • Merchant Mariner Document (presented by U.S. citizen merchant mariners traveling on official business)

  • NEXUS Card

By Land or Sea:

One of the following documents may be presented to prove both identity and citizenship for those ages 16 and older:

  • Passport

  • Passport Card*

  • Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)*

  • State issued Enhanced Driver's License (when available this will secure driver's license will denote identity and citizenship)*

  • Enhanced Tribal Cards (when available)*

  • U.S. Military identification with Military Travel Orders

  • U.S. Merchant Marine document

  • Form I-872 American Indian Card

* Frequent Land Border Crossers: To expedite processing into the United States, U.S. Customs and Border Protection recommends using the above asterisked documents.

Children under 16 may present:

  • Original copy of his or her birth certificate

  • Consular Report

  • Birth Abroad Certificate

  • Naturalization Certificate

More Information

For additional information and for citizens of other countries, please visit the Department of Homeland Security.

  • Local: 202-282-8000

  • Toll-free (from US): 1-800-375-5283

The above information is presented to assist you in your travels. For additional information, please visit either of the following web sites:

Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)

U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP)

Go Northwest! (tm)

Go Northwest! (tm) and (tm) are trademarks of Go Northwest, LLC
All original text, maps, photographs, and other images on this web site, as well as the compilation and design thereof, are
Copyright 1997-2019 Go Northwest, LLC.   All rights reserved.